After a design led by midwives and doulas, our Birthing Couch Kit underwent eight weeks of rigorous use in the busy Birth Centre at Darent Valley Hospital, Kent.
Here is a summary of the evaluations provided by the Midwives and women who used the Couch Kit.
Use of couch during intrapartum period:
- 100% of women used the couch for sitting or laying
- 70% used the couch and kneeling pad for kneeling
- 77% gave birth using the couch
Use of couch during the post-partum period:
- 92% of women used the couch for skin to skin and bonding
- 70% used the couch for sleeping or resting
“Love it! A big improvement on the Bradbury couch.”
“I enjoyed the comfort of the couch for skin to skin and feeding my baby.”
“I really like that women can kneel and lean over the couch.”
Cleaning and Disinfection:
- Midwives agreed the couch was easy to clean and disinfect according to current protocols.
- 100% of Midwives who have previously used a bradbury birthing couch in their practice agreed that the Softbirth Birthing Couch Kit is a significant improvement on the traditional design.
At the end of this trial, rather than return it, the Birth Centre bought it to keep!
Since then, other hospitals at Bath, Berkshire, Derby, Powys, Yarmouth…and abroad, have bought birth couches and birthing mats.